Georgina Lodge No.343 G.R.C. – –Our Past Masters Jewels
The title “Past Master” has of course expanded far beyond Masonic terminology, as with many other Masonic terms, to everyday life.
In the Craft it immediately indicates one who has served as Worshipful Master of a lodge.
Sec. 229 of the Book of Constitution defines the term, which a Master must serve, and that a successor should be Elected and Installed, before he may attain the rank of Past Master.
Sec. 393 defines the jewel of a Past Master : a Square to which is appended the engraved diagram of the 47th Problem of the First Book of Euclid.
It is the custom in many, but not all, lodges in our jurisdiction, for the lodge to present the new Past Master with a jewel, which he may wear whilst he continues to be a member of the lodge, ownership of the jewel remains with the lodge, and arrangements must be made to return the jewel to the lodge on his demise.
Georgina Past Masters are proud to wear jewels which date back many years, some with close family connections, some being worn by the third, and even the fourth, recipient.
The oldest jewel on record was presented to W.Bro.F.G.Tremayne, in Sutton in 1885,
It was returned in 2008, and, by motion of the lodge, is now worn by the Immediate Past Master during his term of office.
The second oldest jewel on record was presented in 1917 to J.W.Houston, and has been worn since 1983 by David McCulloch.
In 1923 a jewel was presented to J.Hubert Kent, which was located in 2007 and returned to Georgina Lodge by W.Bro.William Wolfe of Rehoboam Lodge no.65 G.R.C.
See update (a) (returned in 2007)
The jewel which was worn in 1927 by John Billinghurst has had a multiple history;
In 1972 it was presented to Clare White, who, living in Guelph and unable to attend lodge meetings, returned it to the lodge in 2000, It was then presented to John G. A. Nick on the completion of his second term, after his sudden passing at a meeting, it was returned to the lodge by Judy Nick, and in 2003 it was presented to C.Edwin Drew, who had passed his original jewel to Mark E. Drew in the same year.
The jewel which was worn by Albert H. Downs in 1930, was presented to J. Lloyd Mellor (Stokes Regalia)in 1965, who wore it proudly for 35 years, before deciding to return it to the lodge to be presented to Wayne G. Drew in 2000.
The jewel which was worn by A.E. Gordon in 1930 had a turbulent, interesting history,
In 1992 it was discovered by Metropolitan Toronto Police, among many other stolen items; when it was returned to Georgina it was presented to George McCowan in 1992.
In 1932 a jewel was presented to Edward H. Stanners, who was a one man greeting team and probably the originator of the name badge, the box of which now resides in our archives, in 1962 this jewel was presented to Sam Gilmore, who, after proudly wearing it for 35 years, returned it to the lodge, where it was presented to Iain Mackenzie in 1997.
In 2005 Timothy Edwards, was presented with the jewel which was originally worn by Stuart S. Crouch in 1934 and then by Philip Waltier in 1974.
Percy W. Davies, who was to serve as Secretary for 33 years, received a jewel in 1936,when his son, Elmer Davies became a Past Master in 1961, Percy presented the jewel to him. In 1993 the same jewel was presented to David J. McCulloch, who, on his demit, returned it to the lodge, where it was presented to Harry Pedwell in 2004.
Percy W. Davies wore a second jewel for 15 years and this jewel was presented to Ian C. Filshill in 1977, it was returned to the lodge when Ian passed away in 2010.
In 1938 R. Coulton Berkinshaw, who was to become the Sovereign Grand Commander of the Ancient and Accepted.Scottish .Rite. in 1961, was presented with a jewel which in turn was presented to our Centennial Master R.A.K.(Tony) Richards (Architect at the University of Toronto) in 1976, it was returned to the lodge to be presented to Kevin Murtagh, who was the Master in our 125th year.
The jewel which was presented to John M. Macpherson in 1939 was returned to the lodge to be presented to Ernest G. Lane in1980.
In 1940 Ross J. Haviland, who never tired of telling everyone that he was born on the first Sunday that streetcars ran in Toronto, and that his Mother said that Ross’ first words were “Is that a streetcar?” received a jewel. When the jewel was returned to Georgina it was presented to Gordon R. Brittain in 1986, it was returned in 2008 and in 2010 it was presented to Alan Donovan .
E D. Renault received his jewel in 1943 and wore it for 30 years, it was then worn by C. Edwin Drew, who, after wearing it for a further 30 years presented it to Mark E..Drew in 2003.
In 1945 a jewel was presented to Percy Corking and it was passed on to Ralph E.Finlay in 1959, and then to his son-in-law, J. Bruce Johnston in 1968, and returned to the lodge when Bruce passed to G.L.A. in 2009.
James V. Trebell, who rarely missed a meeting during his sixty years in the lodge, received a jewel in 1946, which was passed on to Kurt Losch in 1981 and to Frederick McCabe in 1991.
Ormand Barrett, whose service as an Officer in Georgina Lodge was temporarily interrupted by service as an Officer in the Canadian Forces, finally received his jewel in 1949, and this jewel was passed on to Thomas F. Dyer in 1988.
In 1951 a jewel was presented to Norman J. Leach, and it was passed on to Keith Way in 1984.
The jewel which was presented to A. Carson Lewis in 1952, was passed to his son Ralph W. Lewis in 1978, who in turn presented it to his Brother, Alan C. Lewis in 1985, Ralph then was presented with the jewel which had previously been worn by his lifelong friend, Bruce M. Kent in 1969. When Alan passed away the jewel was returned to Ralph .
In 1953 Arthur H. Middleton , who was our organist for many years, received his jewel, which was returned to the lodge and presented to Narvin Ramkissoonsingh in 1995.
In 1955 Frank Livesidge was presented with a jewel, which in 1989 was passed on to Thomas Hansen.
Lewis A. Vaughan received his jewel in 1956, and it was passed to Maurice C. Leroeye in 1979.
In 1957 Lou H. Pursley (originator of the phrase “ T.T.C. the Better Way “) was presented with a jewel which was returned to be presented to Allan B. Ferguson in 1967. When Allan passed to the G.L.A. the jewel was presented to Andrew Toth in 2006, who returned it to the lodge in 2010 before he returned to live in Hungary.
It was presented to Tyrone Gilbank in 2011.
“The Old Philosopher” of C.B.C. fame, G. Alex Phare, received a jewel in 1958, which was returned to the lodge to be presented to Ronald E .Gibson in 1975.
It was returned when Ron passed away in 2009.
In 1963 W. Leonard Mason, of Toronto Real Estate Board fame, was presented with his jewel, when it was returned to the lodge it was presented to Pat Piccione in2002, who returned it on taking a demit, it was then presented to Bryan Oram in 2007.
In 1964 Leslie C. Barrett received his jewel , which was returned to be presented to Andrew D. McCrae when he completed the first of his two terms in 1982.
Bert. Wiggins was presented with a jewel in 1966, which was returned to the lodge to be presented to Cecil Morris in 1987 and then passed on to J.Harold Saunders in 1999. (returned in 2007)
John A. MacCallum ,who has spent more than half of his Masonic life in Muskoka Lodge No.360 G.R.C. in Bracebridge, was presented with an original jewel in 1970
This is to the best of our knowledge, a complete list. If anyone can fill in some of the blanks, or if there is any discrepancy, we would be pleased to hear from you.
The title “W.Bro.”, to which all are entitled, has been omitted in the interest of space.
We are indebted to the continuing efforts of J. Lloyd Mellor, Ralph W. Lewis, George McCowan and Mark Drew in compiling this information.
Several jewels are missing if anyone has information on them please let us know:
W.M.Lewis 1950,Fred Belsham 1954; Arthur Fox 1960; Alvyn Bourne 1972
C. Edwin Drew
W.M. Georgina Lodge 1972-73
p.s. see updates (a) and (b):
Updates since 2006:
(a) Since this was originally written, Georgina Lodge was extremely fortunate that on May 12,2007 they were visited by W.Bro.William Wolfe, the W,M, of Rehoboam Lodge No.65 G.R.C., who presented the lodge with the jewel which had been worn for over 35 years by V.W.Bro.J.Hubert Kent, who was W.M. in 1921. W.Bro.Wolfe had seen the jewel in a flea market in Northern Ontario, he purchased the jewel and graciously brought it home in 2007. Georgina Lodge owes him a great debt of gratitude!
(b) On May 23,2008, V.W.Bro.Alan Davidson of St John’s 209a in London,Ont. visited Georgina Lodge to deliver a jewel which he had located at a jewellery market. It was the jewel which was presented to W.Bro.F.G.Tremayne in 1885, when Georgina Lodge was located in Sutton. After due appreciation was expressed to V.W.Bro.Davidson, a notice of motion was proposed that, starting in November 2008, the jewel be worn by the Immediate Past Master during his term of office, and thereafter by each succeeding I.P.M.
C.E.D. Nov. 2009 revised Nov. 2011
Our Past Masters Jewels
Georgina Lodge No.343 G.R.C. – –Our Past Masters Jewels